Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Stuff I've Learnt over the Years

by Sean S.

(Sean wrote this to me and at the same time, to put up on the blog. As I said on the intro to Ryan's post, I had asked them to give me some thoughts on the readings we've done over the years. I have to say, reading this made me smile and cry a little, in gratitude.)


Mom,

The stuff I've read over the years has been amazing.

The education has been amazing. And the books me, you and Ryan have read were impressive books. The book that really had an effect on me was 'The Shock Doctrine'. What I've learned from it was the whole shock therapy. That one woman who wasn't even doing anything but the CIA agency just had that doctor subject her to the shock therapy treatment. And Milton Friedman was behind the whole Chicago Boys and what they did in Chile. Then there was reading about the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and how, afterwards, a bunch of those Capitalistic rich people took advantage of the destruction and built hotels. Even though it belonged to the fisheries but the capitalistic rich people took it. This book is quite interesting because it tells you a lot about the stuff you haven't heard or even knew about. These books me, Ryan and you have read were pretty happy, sad or dark.

And then there were the poems you've read. The poem I liked most is 'The House of Yemanjá' by Audre Lord. It is a very impressive poem.

To conclude everything I've learned over the years, well, I'm happy to say I've learned quite a lot from reading with you. I am thankful. We've read loads of books and poems whether they're fiction, nonfiction. It's been very educational. And plus, it's helped me an awful lot. Learning new things about world history. And the stuff we've read has been very interesting because some of those things that happened, happened. Like in 'Brother I'm Dying', that one president who was removed in the coup in Haiti. President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

So, all of this has been very educational.







1 comment :

  1. Reading is always educational in one way or another Sean. Glad your Mom has spent the time to expand your world by reading. There are many things in print that many folks don't know ever took place! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete