Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thoughts on Our Readings Over the Years

by Ryan S.

(My youngest son, Ryan, wrote this. I recently found myself reflecting in conversation with him and Sean and in my intro to last month's post (repeated again for this month) where I list much of what we've read so far. http://labor2beardown.blogspot.com/2014/02/february-2014-with-my-learning-comrades.html.  So I asked them to reflect a bit on their experience. Sean is working on his. Ryan just turned 17 in January.)



I'm somewhat lucky as far as my education goes, because with all the literature I have read with my family, and especially my mom, over the years I've gained a perspective on life and the way our society works, which I'm not sure many people my age have. I've learned the effects capitalism has on our world: how it's at a structural level the cause of many environmental problems, and is also the cause of much of the large-scale inequality that exists through-out the world. Because of the greed created by building whole nations around money, and the amount of control the people with the most money have, many alternative and equally effective sources of power (such as solar, wind, and to a small extent, hydroelectric power) have been largely turned down, simply because economic profits brought in from these alternatives is not as great. Meanwhile, the planet is rapidly deteriorating due to the heavy use of oil and nuclear power, simply for the sake of gaining more money, which will be obsolete and useless anyway if there's no planet for us to exist on.


The readings I've done over the years have also given me a large amount of insight into the large amount of racial and gender-based problems that, contrary to some's belief, is still heavily embedded in our culture. I also believe I have a better understanding of, and respect for the history behind human civilization than most people of my age. All of these opinions are based on personal experience of course, but I like to think I have a fairly good idea having known many teens over the years and having conversations with some about various political and large social issues that exist. Though I may not know as much as some of them with things like math, I feel as though I have a better understanding of broad issues and am able to empathize on a large-scale better because of this understanding. Knowing the things I do, I have to wonder why literature like that of which I have read over the years is not taught as widely in schools, seeing as it very clearly is not too advanced, and really has more value than much of the reading currently done in many schools.


4 comments :

  1. oh my gosh! I am truly astounded and feel absolutely joyful and mournful all at once. Ryan and Sean's experiences and verbalization of what they have learned from and with you is so moving. I have hope for the future. And then again I am deeply mournful as I work in the school system and rarely if ever have I heard or read anything similarly as open minded, as confident, as knowledgeable, as deep as to what these two have experienced and written so effectively! You have done amazing work with them, Lucy! You are truly a wonderful nurturing mother and I feel lucky that you are in this world with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, you are wiser than many 20 something year olds I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elda, I wrote a response and it disappeared for some reason... I'll try to say it again...

    Thank you so much for your lovely words. I'm so touched, humbled, grateful, and honored by what you wrote. You do such great work yourself with the kids you care for. From early on, I was always so touched by your care, affection, love, and loyalty to the kids you work with. Thank you again so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't expect much of a response, thank you! My mom really has done an amazing job with all the things she's done to teach us through our lives. I was gonna have a comment at the end thanking her for all the work she's put into our education over the years, but she thought it was talking her up a little too much - she's very humble sometimes.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete