Saturday, February 9, 2013

Labor and Class by Tammy L.


I'm running 19 miles, 20 miles, 21 miles. What for? No one's chasing me. No one's trying to kill me or my family. I'm running to prepare for a race and this is totally optional. No one is making me do it and, in fact, I paid to enter this race. My hips and knees are screaming, “stop you fool,” my feet feel twice their normal size. I'm doing something that is so hard just to see if I can. On race day in MN, people are cheering me on and handing me cups of water and Powerade. They're patting me on the back and giving me high-fives. When I'm finished I get a medal and a t-shirt. I can barely walk. My muscles ache; my knees hurt. 

After many of these races in the mid-west, I start to realize I see very few people of color running. I wonder why that is and I wonder why it took me so long to even notice. I'm thinking about how race and economic class are so intertwined, one bound to the other. And the way class defines even our recreational activities. And keeps us segregated.

I have cross country skied at nearly every nearby park, county and state. It's the same thing. I rarely see anyone other than white people on the parallel lines. It took me a while to realize that, too. Why? And I start to wonder, “are these luxuries for only a few?" This is labor, but it's labor in my free time.

When I go to work, I sometimes complain about how hard my job is, about the changes management makes. There's a new procedure, some new report I need to complete. There are some difficult people I have to work with, the phone calls I have to take. Just then, a woman comes around; I see her everyday. She takes my small waste bin and dumps it in the larger trash barrel. I say, “thank you” and she moves on. I don't know this woman but I could. She has a nice face. Over time, I start to add, “how are you?” and “have a great day.” She thanks me. It occurs to me that my co-workers and I are complaining about petty things, inconsequential things. I'm embarrassed realizing that she may have heard some of them. What are her concerns? I want to ask her about herself, but it feels contrived. I fear that she will question my reason or motives. And we both have jobs to do. She has to keep going and so do I.

During the day, the customer service representatives divide up the requests: copy that, mail that, fax that, pay that....They support the adjusters. There's the woman again, taking their waste bins, too, and emptying them. Sometimes she is dusting the shelves our work sits on. Sometimes she is vacuuming. No one is handing her cups of water or Powerade. It's as though no one even notices she's there, like she's invisible. When I leave work for the day, there's also a man pushing a cart with cleaning supplies loaded in it. I see him everyday when I leave. I say “hi” and I smile at him. He just looks at me expressionless. He pushes the cart up and down the 5 story building. No one gives him high-fives or pats him on the back. Where are the words of encouragement for him? What's he thinking? I saw him in the elevator as I headed for it; he looks at me and doesn't hold the elevator. The door closes. I end up feeling like I deserve that.

I went to say goodbye to Traci, the VP. I've worked with her for years and she gradually worked her way up the ladder, but now she's leaving the company. She's in her private office. I go in and we start to discuss her plans for the future, ("oh, take time off for myself and the kids...maybe become a personal trainer"), when her boss comes in. He's flown in on a corporate jet to do the “exit interview.” He starts talking to her while she and I are in the middle of our conversation. He doesn't excuse himself or apologize, even just to be polite. He speaks only to her, never once looks or nods in my direction, acknowledging my existence. It's as though he doesn't notice me; I am invisible to him. I'm uncomfortable standing there while the two talk. I leave quietly without saying goodbye.

6 comments :

  1. I really love how you're willing to talk about what you're noticing and thinking about and questioning. I love the comparisons.

    Ir reminds me so much of something in the novel White Tiger, set in modern day India. The servant (and first person protagonist) describes holding all the overweight upper class residents of the expensive apartment complex walking their laps there while their very thin servants stand in the sun holding towels and water for them, which the walkers can use for relief when they feel the need as they walk by. I of course don't mean your marathon races are like that, but I'm just saying that you really make the contrast of how labor is defined and valued so visible here. I love your honesty about this. Thanks for contributing such a good piece.
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I just realized the grammar error.... The servant describes how all the overweight..... are walking their laps....

      Man, this happens to me so often in computer writing because I'm always moving a word to rephrase something...

      Delete
  2. Oh, one other thing. I appreciate your willingness to talk about the racial issues you notice. I wonder how this is in other parts of the U.S. (the marathon races, the skiing, etc. I know Gloria and Martha ran a marathon in L.A.) I think this part of the Midwest is strangely segregated compared to what I am used to from growing up in and living quite a lot of my life in Southern California. I wonder why.

    When I was at the university finishing my B.A, I kept wondering why the population surrounding it in this metropolitan area is much more diverse than what I saw in the classes there. All of this is a visible but often not talked about silent testimony to the ways in which racism still persists in the U.S. And it still manifests as economic exploitation and in less access to certain experiences.

    At the most basic level, I think of how one of the people in our family worked for decades as the main chef at a Mexican restaurant without getting any vacation, sick days, etc. Early on, the owner used to give him one week a year, and so he'd go visit his mother in Mexico then. But after the owner died, the wife and daughter took over and didn't even give him that. What would his life and the lives of his own family have been like had he had three or six weeks a year of paid vacation? Or if he'd worked 40 hours a week for five days instead of 60 to 70 for six days? So much of who we are and what we do is created by such basic structures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the notion of invisibility. I, particularly, like how the wheel turns and how, eventually, we find ourselves in the position in which those for whom we never care and about whom we never think - although in your case you did care - were. Middle-class people often disregard those below them in the social ladder. But, ultimately,those who belong to more privileged classes end up treating them the way they treat the invisible, marginalized and unseen ones - those who clean for us, those who collect our rubbish, those who work in factories from morning to night, those who carry the heavy boxes of the food we will eat and of the clothes we will wear, those who do menial jobs that do not require any intellectual knowledge. The feeling, then, is so strong and so painful. Yet, it is so good because it teaches us not to ignore those "below" us.
    by: A Wretched Female Aspiring to Become a Free Human Being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your comment. And I really love your name here: "A Wretched Female Aspiring to Become a Free Human Being." This makes me think again of what David Graeber says in Debt: the First 5000 Years, which is that the earlier meaning of "free" was the ability to make a friend. And I have a feeling that in this way - in your ability to be a real friend and forge real friendships - you are free. Yet the system blocks us in a multitude of ways from experiencing the fullness of even that older, deeper freedom. It rips us from one another or puts up various artificial barriers between people, such as the ones between the workers in Tammy's account (herself and those who work there doing work our society devalues), or the borders and documents which decide who can move freely in the world and who cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know about that meaning before. Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! the system divides us so that those who control it can better control us. It is part of their divide-and-conquer policy. Make them individualistic, make them selfish, make them alone, make them ignore each other's needs and pains. And, then, none will raise against the carefully hidden rulers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete